Black sky power outages - outages lasting a month or more and affecting multiple states - could turn a natural or manmade disaster into a catastrophe. The resources included below describe resilience measures that water and wastewater utilities might consider in order to maintain service during black sky outages.
- WaterISAC Black Sky Hazards & Water Sector Resilience: Recording, Slide Deck and CEU Materials
- Draft Black Sky Playbook for the Water Sector 3.0 (EIS Council)
- Electric Infrastructure Security Council
- E-Pro Handbook II, Volume II: Water Sector Resilience for Black Sky Events (EIS Council)
- E-Pro Handbook III: Black Sky Cross Sector Coordination and Communication (EIS Council)
- Roadmap to a Secure and Resilient Water and Wastewater Sector (Water Sector Coordinating Council)
- Power Resilience Guide (US EPA)
Plan to Play in EarthEx 2019 (August 21)
Hosted by the Electric Infrastructure Security Council, EARTH EX addresses this unprecedented global risk by hosting unprecedented, interactive, all-sector, all-nation exercises. EARTH EX is a state-of-the-art, video-enabled, distributed, collaborative partner-developed exercise designed to meet this need. Each year, the exercise is based on a different, selected black sky hazard. In 2018, an unprecedented combination of video-enabled and text-based injects supported interactive participation by 20 different sectors.